Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Teaching the Constitution and Bill of Rights

Hello teachers! We are just finishing up one of my favorite units to teach out of all of my classes! I love teaching students about how our government works here in America. I believe it is so important to society that our future voters are well-informed and know what the Constitution says. Last year, I discovered a really great product on Teacher's Pay Teachers for teaching students the branches of government. In this project, students make a really cool flip-flap book about the branches of government! It even comes with a little booklet that has information about the branches in very simple language and that aligns perfectly with the questions asked in the flip-flap book. The bonus to it is that it looks amazing up on a bulletin board! Check mine out!
The yellow stickies and weird black line are covering the student's names. I just put them on for this picture. :)

I purchased this project from Simply Skilled in Second on Teacher's Pay Teachers. You can get it here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Branches-of-Government-1189930 . It is well worth the price, even if printing it is a little bit complicated (some pages need to be printed on legal pages). One example of checks and balances from this booklet is how a bill becomes a law, so of course, I had to show the classic Schoolhouse Rock video, "I'm Just a Bill." (Aren't those the best videos??)

After completing the flip-flap book, we played a game entitled, "Branches of Power" to test our knowledge at www.icivics.org. I love this website!!!! I use lessons and games from it numerous times throughout the year to teach U.S. history. I only wish there were a website like it for world history activities.

Next, we study the Bill of Rights. I use a Bill of Rights lesson from www.icivics.org. In the picture above, high and in the center, is one of the activities we do from that lesson. Students have to match a simplified version of each amendment with its number. There are a few other fun activities in the lesson and I modify them for my class as needed (we do parts in groups, parts individually, and parts as a whole class). We then play another game at www.icivics.org. This one is called, "Do I have a Right?" It's similar to Diner Dash, except you are running a law firm and matching clients and their problems to a lawyer who specializes in a corresponding amendment. This game truly allows students to put their knowledge into action! The last activity we did with the Bill of Rights was a discussion activity that I created after reading about "chat stations" from Cult of Pedagogy. You can read more about them at http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/chat-stations/. The discussion questions I created for this activity are totally free on Teacher's Pay Teachers!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bill-of-Rights-Discussion-Activity-2338448

I was incredibly impressed by the answers I got to these questions. Most were well-thought-out with good evidence for their answers. I really felt like the students were able to apply the principles in the Bill of Rights to their own lives through this activity. 

I hope some of these activities give you inspiration for teaching about our amazing Constitution and Bill of Rights! Please comment if you have any questions. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi.... This is wonderful!!! Thank you so much for your sweet shout out!! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the unit and your kiddos did too! You made my day!!!!

    Hugs
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making such great projects and for visiting the blog! I have subscribed to you on your blog and TPT. :)

    ReplyDelete