Monday, December 7, 2015

Preparation for Multi-digit Multiplication

Sometimes it’s difficult for students to go from multiplication facts to multi-digit multiplication that requires regrouping. I like to have the students practice multiplying and then adding so they have some experience with the process they will do after regrouping. This is especially helpful for students in special education. Then, I have the students practice multiplying without regrouping so they practice doing steps in the right order. Any time we can have the students practice any of the steps of in a multi-step process beforehand, it helps increase their confidence because it actually looks somewhat familiar. 

I have a new Teachers Pay Teachers product up to help with this! I have included five pages of "multiply, then add" worksheets with 30 problems each. I have also included five pages of multiplication of one digit by two digit numbers without regrouping. Each page has 15 problems. It all comes with an answer key as well. I hope these activities help your students ease into multiplication with regrouping! Check it out here: Preparation for Multi-digit Multiplication



No comments:

Post a Comment